Friday, February 15, 2008

Language is a tool

It's nice being able to put random thoughts into words and knowing that you are logical.I felt good about myself, having reasons laid out clearly enough for me to know that i'm still very much myself :)

I'm reminded of this particular lecture in anthropology that explains alot about humanity, at least to me it makes alot of sense.(Cherie and Mel are gonna laugh at me) I remember that bald yet charming guy saying "Language is a tool in culture". Through language we are able to express and understand each other. Obviously, it has to be coherent and it's this order in expression that makes us seem logical. If you haven't realise we all favour order.

So often we classify things even without any conscious effort. There're unspoken guidelines to what's appropriate and undesirable, what's right and wrong. We judge and label. They aren't rules stated in black and white but we all know it very well in our minds what's expected of us and the way we should behave. Basically, everyone has their own set of rules to follow. We find reasons for our actions and love it when everything goes as planned.

With the power of language, you can convince anyone to believe whatever crap you have in mind. Darn. Now i'm thinking of how the jerks, players, cheaters and deceivers abuse their talent! But it'll be good if you use it wisely, use it well.
I should really learn to use words.

Thank you for being so eloquent.:)

No comments: